The Cyanotype
𝄖𝄖𝄖𝄖𝄖𝄖𝄖𝄖𝄖𝄖𝄖𝄖𝄖𝄖𝄖𝄖𝄖𝄖𝄖𝄖𝄖
John Herschel was looking for a way to copy his notes and that wayhe introduced the cyanotape in 1842.
One of the first ones to use this technique was Anna Atkins (1799-1871).
She used those phtos to illustrate a whole book (“Pencil of Nature” in 1844.) and she was the first one to do so.
Malin Fabbri - graphic designer, wanted to use cynanotype in advertisment, hoever it did not work out. She bought the internet address cynanotypes.com and she published her work on there. Soon after many other artist who use this technique started posting their work as well.
Now artist can pay to post their work and present them as a little galleries.
The introduced proccess:
Prepare your water colour paper or fabric by cutting to size:
A6 or 8x10
Using gloves:
Mix 20ml of a) Potassium Ferricyanide solution and 20ml of ammonium citrate (green)
Paint it evenly and thinly onto the paper or fabric using a sponge
Let it dry and then, for paper, coat with a second layer
For fabric, one coat is sufficient
Leave to dry
Arrange your negative or objects and place in the UV box
Expose to UV light until the exposed parts go to a fairly dark grey
Rinse in running water for minute
Rinse in a citric acid solution for 1minute
Rinse in running water for 2 minutes
Leave to dry
Prepare a good range of canvases and paper to establish an exposure time that produces results you are happy with.
- my mentor Nicol(?)
My work
I followed the steps given to me from my tutir. During the proccess I wad not able to produce more work, because of the time that the paper and material took to dry. Therefore I wished I had more time to experiment with this technique. I managed to poduce two pieces from already taken photographs which before were printed negatives.
I had chance to produce only one creative piece on material where I placed different objects on top of it and I exposed it to the light.
John Herschel was looking for a way to copy his notes and that wayhe introduced the cyanotape in 1842.
One of the first ones to use this technique was Anna Atkins (1799-1871).
She used those phtos to illustrate a whole book (“Pencil of Nature” in 1844.) and she was the first one to do so.
Malin Fabbri - graphic designer, wanted to use cynanotype in advertisment, hoever it did not work out. She bought the internet address cynanotypes.com and she published her work on there. Soon after many other artist who use this technique started posting their work as well.
Now artist can pay to post their work and present them as a little galleries.
The introduced proccess:
Prepare your water colour paper or fabric by cutting to size:
A6 or 8x10
Using gloves:
Mix 20ml of a) Potassium Ferricyanide solution and 20ml of ammonium citrate (green)
Paint it evenly and thinly onto the paper or fabric using a sponge
Let it dry and then, for paper, coat with a second layer
For fabric, one coat is sufficient
Leave to dry
Arrange your negative or objects and place in the UV box
Expose to UV light until the exposed parts go to a fairly dark grey
Rinse in running water for minute
Rinse in a citric acid solution for 1minute
Rinse in running water for 2 minutes
Leave to dry
Prepare a good range of canvases and paper to establish an exposure time that produces results you are happy with.
- my mentor Nicol(?)
My work
I followed the steps given to me from my tutir. During the proccess I wad not able to produce more work, because of the time that the paper and material took to dry. Therefore I wished I had more time to experiment with this technique. I managed to poduce two pieces from already taken photographs which before were printed negatives.
I had chance to produce only one creative piece on material where I placed different objects on top of it and I exposed it to the light.











Comments
Post a Comment